The total cost of a trademark opposition can be anywhere from zero dollars to over $100,000. Yes, I know that’s a huge and scary range, but it’s the honest truth. There are many variables that affect the cost of pursuing or defending a trademark opposition, including:
- Whether you’re the opposer or the defendant
- Whether you hire an attorney or not
- The number and complexity of the issues raised in the opposition
- The amount of time and effort you’re personally willing to put into pursuing/defending the opposition
- The aggressiveness of the parties and/or their attorneys
- Whether the trademark opposition can be amicably and quickly settled between the parties in some manner
As you can see, some of these variables you’ll have control over, whereas others you won’t. And that’s what makes estimating trademark opposition costs so frustrating, difficult, and frankly not very reliable.